Frozen Pipe Galesburg
When pipes freeze then break in a Galesburg home or business, an urgent matter is created which must be fixed to prevent extensive carpet damage, wall damage and damage to contents in the rest of the home or business. Time is of the essence when stopping Galesburg flood damage. Finding the source of the water problem and beginning the water damage restoration is important.
Whatever the reason, the professionals at Bailtek Carpet Cleaning and Water Damage can help. Remember, moisture problems can result in mold damage. It is your choice who you use to restore your loss. You should contact your insurance agent as soon as possible and let her know Bailtek will handle the water damage.
Pipe Frozen Problem Galesburg
When pipes freeze expansion occurs and it puts tremendous pressure on whatever is containing it, including metal or plastic pipes. No matter the “strength” of a pipe, expanding water can cause pipe bursts. When the pipe breaks, the water flows and causes flooding. Pipes that freeze most frequently are those that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, yard sprinkler lines, and water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation are also prone to freezing and flooding.
Cold Weather Pipe Freezing Prevention
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe – even at a trickle – helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night, you may prevent costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature greater than 55° F.
Preventing Frozen Pipe Galesburg
Prevent freezing water supply lines and pipes by following these recommendations:
- Check for areas where water supply lines are located in low temp areas. Look in the basement, crawl space, attic, garage, and under kitchen and bathroom cabinets.
- Drain and winterize swimming pool and water sprinkler supply lines
- Remove, drain, and store hoses outdoors. Close valves supplying outdoor hose bibs. Open the outside hose bibs to allow water to drain. Keep the outside valve open so that any water remaining in the pipe can expand without causing the pipe to break.